Final semester exam
Students of Don Bosco Technical School Phnom Penh take their final semester exam in the capital early April.
For Don Bosco the exam is a very important moment where the student demonstrates in some way their abilities and learning level and teachers evaluate their own effectiveness in helping their students to get a skill. There are 6 main exams at the Don Bosco technical schools during the two years of formation:
- The entrance exam: It is done to assure that the new applicants to Don Bosco are ready to assume a strict technical and human formation.
- The semester exam: 4 of them at the end of every semester.
- The final exam and thesis.
The technical schools put a lot emphasis on doing the exams in the best way possible, following a strict policy:
- The design of the exam is made by a select group of veteran and professional teachers that keep it secret and share it to all technical schools in Cambodia.
- Authorities from the Ministry of Education are invited as observers of the exam.
- Students should not come to the area where the exam is hold the day or night before it is realized.
- Students are strictly forbidden from talking during the exam.
- Every student should bring with them only the necessary items requested by the exam policy.
- Young people trying to ‘buy’ a teacher or suggesting any special gift, will be dismissed immediately. If it is about new applicants, such person will not be accepted in any Don Bosco Technical School in Cambodia.
- Under any reason a young person should arrive to a Don Bosco exam in condition of drunkenness or with effects of a previous drunkenness or effects of any kind narcotics.
- The Don Bosco schools are non-smoking areas, thus exams.
- Young people should pay respect to any teacher or authority before, during and after the exam. There is not tolerance for youth speaking loudly, angry or commanding teachers. If a young person has an observation to do, they must follow due procedures keeping politeness and good manners.
- Young people must dress properly during the exam: if they are students, they must wear the official uniform of the Technical School, with a proper haircut; if they are applicants, they must come wearing the Cambodian official uniform for school children.